Thursday, November 4, 2010

Patterned paper storage

For years, I've been storing my patterned paper in some winter boots boxes that I cut down and covered with kraft paper. I liked that they fit well on my shelf and that I had it sorted by manufacturers, but I found lately that my paper was curling over and I didn't like accessing it from the side.

At my garage sale in September, my friend had brought a bunch of hanging file folders to sell and told me I could help myself. I took all of the legal sized ones that she had, thinking of a new patterned paper storage idea.

I went to Staples and bought a legal sized file folder container that came with eight more file folders. I bought it home and used it like this:



Once again, I sorted my patterned paper by manufacturers, in alphabetical order. This system works well for me, because I have a good memory for who makes which paper and I like my lines sorted together for ease of scrapping.



I printed up circles that fit my 1 3/4" circle punch on my computer, with the manufacturer's name in each one. I punched them out, then attached them to a scalloped circle that I punched out of old sheet music. These a stapled to a 3x12" piece of cardstock, from my scrap stash.



I placed these in the folders, behind the papers of that brand. I have them staggered so I can read them easily, but they can be moved if I need to accomodate a new brand.



How do you store your patterned paper?

6 comments:

xoxo... t said...

That looks awesome! I have mine filled in a cropper hopper and used Heidi Swapp's old clear file folder tabs to separate by manufacturer. As for dividers, I just used extra pieces of odd-colored dollar-store cardstock that I knew I would never use.

And as for my scraps and alphabets, they are organized by color exactly like yours! In two separate bins with those hanging file folders :)

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I store mine too.

Michelle said...

I have my cardstock and patterned paper in cropper hopper's vertical storage. 40% off coupon's from Michael's used to purchase them. Patterned paper is by mfr. Cardstock by color.

Tanya said...

so funny you just posted this! When I cleaned out my scraproom a couple weeks this is almost exactly how I arranged my room! I love the new system :)

flo said...

that's cute leigh! i store mine the same way, only i don't have cute tabs like you. i should do that...

Kim said...

Hmmmm...apparently, for a small home based business owner,the way I store MY OWN papers sucks! ( stashed in no particular order in 12 x 12 Sterilte storage drawers...OR in XL zip locks bags by the handfuls! ) HAHAHA....but this has inspired me to take some time ( ? ) to make up some kind of filing system for my own papers...thanks ladies!
:)