Monday, February 7, 2011

use your scraps

so this weekend i only managed one layout for
the online crop..bummer. but i did have fun
with the layout i made. i did a paper pieced
layout with only scraps. i did use a full sheet
of kraft cardstock, but that doesn't count.



i have done a few of these type of layouts, they
mostly get done as gifts though. i have 2 for myself
the one i currently finished and this other gem
thats hanging in my dining room.



how is it done,you ask??
its pretty easy...first i decide on a photo..i
like doing the photo in black and white. i find
with all the colour and shapes the photo stands
out better.

then i gather my supplies. i have my scraps divided
into colour..that way when i'm want dimension in the
grass i have all my shades of green together.

to assemble a layout like this is basically the same
as any other layout. lots of moving and shifting.
i also like the gradients in colour..(like in the grass
of the first photo). when doing these layouts i also try
to keep everything off the photo..and i try to be
careful with how much embellishment i stick on it. these
layouts can get crowded really easily, and with so much
patterns and layers, it can look like too much...
in my first photo, i do feel i am pushing the boundries
on too much stuff. but at first the roof of my house
seemed like too much open and empty space...originally
the heart was in the tree, i moved the heart and added
the pink butterflies...i think its the butterflies
doing that for me...maybe the bird in the sun?? i still
love it though...i love how it is imperfect. the lines
aren't straight.

anyhoo, i'd love to see how your layout like this turns
out! post it in the gallery..
let this be your challenge of the week!!
later, jen

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Oh this is too cute Jen. I love it just the way it is. I want to try this... need fine some b&w to pick from... Really cute. Love your style.