Thursday, April 2, 2009

Journaling tip #3

Before I get to my journaling tip for today, I wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments from my Journaling #2 post (I'm so glad when I can post helpful information!)

And, I wanted to answer Valerie's question, which was: "Do you just use regular scotch tape to adhere the journaling card to the paper?"

I used to use painter's tape (we always seem to have some on hand ;) ), but now I use my Kokuyo Dot 'N Roller adhesive on the back of my journaling card. I find it keeps it in place well through the printer and then once I peel it off the white paper, I only have to add a little more to adhere it to my layout.

Journaling tip #3: Paragraphs

I love to read other people's journaling on their layouts, whether the layouts are in magazines, the gallery, etc. But sometimes, if people have a lot of journaling on their layouts, it can be a little daunting.

So one way I find helps when I have a longer journaling block, is to break it into paragraphs. I find this helps give the eye a chance to rest, it makes it seem a little less long and it can become a design element on my layout.

Here are a couple of examples:

For this layout about my son, I knew I had lots to say, so I broke my journaling into three separate paragraphs (or journaling blocks) and spread them out on my layout.


Supplies used: Bazzill cardstock, My Mind's Eye patterned paper, American Craft thickers, Autumn leaves stamps and buttons, all from the Shoppe.

Another example of breaking up the journaling into paragraphs is on this layout here. Instead of separate journaling blocks, all I did here was leave a line in between my paragraphs.




Supplies used: the MSS April kit.

Again, feel free to leave any questions or comments in the comment section.

1 comment:

valerie said...

Thanks Leigh! I even have that dot roller :) Definitely going to be trying one of these journaling tips this weekend for the online crop!