Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Get to know the DTs!

This week on the blog we thought it would be fun to re-introduce the Design Team. We'll each be writing a bit about ourselves, how we stumbled upon scrapbooking, pics of our scrappy space and just for fun, a pic of our first layout.

And I don't know how it happened, but somehow I managed to go first. New girl hazing, perhaps?

So for those that don't know, my name is Florence (aka Flo) and I'm one of the two newest DT members. I'm probably one of the only girls around here that doesn't have kids. So my scrapbook is filled with other people's kids, my two cats, and every once in awhile dh and I show up in there too. I've been married to Kent for 3 years, we live in Winnipeg, and I work at a Marketing Agency (Mad Men, anyone?). I love french fries, Amazing Race, volleyball, reading, traveling and am a self-professed neat freak.

Believe it or not, until a few years ago, I had never even heard of scrapbooking. I mean, I used to decorate my albums with pretty paper and stickers, but never actually realized it was called something. And that thousands of women did it. And there were people paid to do it all day. And then my cousin suggested we do a scrapbooking bible study. Aha! The light bulb went off in my head. Goodbye extra money! Goodbye free time! Goodbye dh! So, without further adieu, here's a picture of my very first official scrapbooking layout. We called our bible study group the Joy Love Club, a spinoff of the book the Joy Luck Club. This was my title page. I know there's no picture on the layout, but it still counts, right? Well it better, because I slaved over this baby for days. Days!!!

After this little foray into the world of pastels and letter stickers, I stumbled upon Creating Keepsakes and that's when the world of scrapbooking really opened up for me. I quickly moved on from the magazine, finding it to be a little much for my style (read: too much money for cheapskate me!). Then I discovered scrapbooking blogs, forums, online stores - you name it! And somewhere along the line, I found MSS and have been happily stalking er.... posting to the forum ever since.

After months and months of complaining persistently asking for a dedicated scrap space, dh renovated our office and built me an awesome desk:

You'll have to excuse my lack of photography skills. I'm still trying to convince dh that I really need an SLR. Oh, and some photography skills would help too. I keep trying to channel my inner Marcy and Eva and it never works! So yes, the picture is crappy because it was taken in a rush early this morning before work, it was dark and my camera sucks. So does my brain apparently, because I didn't think to take a picture of the entire room. Oh well. You're not missing much. The other half of the desk is for the computer. And yes, that is pretty much all my scrapbooking stuff. Told you I was cheap!

So that's me in a nutshell. If you're still reading, then I hope I haven't bored you to death and that you've learned a little something about me. I have to get back to work, as lunch time's over. But tomorrow you get to learn all about Marcy! Ooohhh....I can't wait to see her first layout.....

3 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Great post, Flo!
I love your first layout (very clever name!) and your scrap desk is very nice and orderly. Thanks for sharing!

Sherri said...

I love your first blog entry Flo. Very numerous. Great job!

Sherri said...

and by numerous of course I meant H-umerous. Gheesh!