Friday, October 23, 2009

Letter trick

I don't think it's much of a secret that one of my favourite manufacturers is Pink Paislee. And since seeing it in the CHA summer sneaks, I have been itching to get my hands on some of the Pink Paislee Amber Road products.

I loved the patterned paper and rub-ons that Marcy got in. When I noticed that she hadn't ordered the coordinating chipboard letters, I figured, no problem, I have a pile of black letters at home.

However, when I started to work on my first layout using the Amber Road products, I didn't think that black letters would work so well. I needed something a little brighter.

I searched through my letter binder for the perfect red letters to use..... only to realize that they couldn't be found. Plan B: make them myself.

I looked through the rest of my chipboard letters and chose some chipboard letters that I thought were both a good size and the right looking font. And, they also happened to be Pink Paislee. Imagine that.

But, said letters also happened to be pink, which would not do.

Normally, I paint my chipboard letters, but I wasn't sure if the red paint I had would be the right shade, and it was running low. Plan C: use ink.

I started with a red ink, which I dabbed onto the letters with a make-up sponge applicator. I repeated this step for a second coat. Then, as a third coat, I switched the ink colour to orange.




I let them dry (probably for about twenty minutes. I didn't time it, but worked on cutting out the trees from this piece of patterned paper while they dried.)

And here's how they turned out:

1 comment:

Julia said...

cool idea! For my Turbo LO I used a marker to color my brown chipboard letters and make them blak.