Thursday, March 11, 2010

To keep or not to keep. That is the question.

I'm purging.  I've been purging for the last 3 days and it feels great! I've gone through about half of my scrapbooking stuff so far and have donated about 300 sheets of paper and a whole big bag full of embellishments to a friend, plus a bunch of stuff to my son's kindergarten class.

We talk about this lots on the forums - about how often we purge and what do we get rid of when we do?

I've been scrapbooking since 1999-2000, (somewhere in there), so I have collected quite a few things over the past 10+ years.  So, I had to come up with a few guidelines for getting rid of things.  These are fairly basic, but seeing as that's what is going on in my life right now, that's what I'm blogging about today.

1.  If I don't love love love love it - it's gone.
2.  If I haven't used it in 2 years - give it away.
3.  If you've been saving something for a specific purpose (ie. mini book you've been meaning to make, or a layout you've been meaning to do) - give yourself a specific time line to complete the project.  If you've not completed it - give it away, you'll find something else you love if you eventually do the project.
4.  Make sure you've got space for what you have!  If you can't see it or can't find it when you want it because of lack of space, you need to either figure out a new way to store your product or thin it out a bit. 
5. Find someone who can hold you accountable.  Let someone else know what your scrappy space goal is (keeping it neat, making sure everything is put away every night, only keeping and not bying more than you have room for.

So, if you're going through that spring cleaning fever like I am, but don't know where to start, hopefully these guidelines will help you out!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Good Luck Nicole, It always feels great to cleanse and I love the guidelines you have set up for yourself, very attainable I think.

Leigh Penner said...

Great post, Nicole!
And good for you for purging through your stuff!

jen k said...

it does feel good to purge..
it also helps when you have a dual purpose space. ie. my area is also my dining room, so i have to keep it super neat...i think i will be purging soon. see if i have anything that i can take to SSD to sell..