Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Flo's Space

My scrap desk lives in our second bedroom, which is also the office. It works well as neither takes up enough space to be in a room on its own, and I often use the computer while scrapping.

Last summer, we renovated this space to accommodate my growing scrap supplies and so that I could actually have a desk for myself. After toying with the idea of having two separate desks, we realized that it was more cost efficient to just have one long desk that spanned the length of one wall. And after scouring antique stores and not finding anything quite long enough, dh decided to just make one.

It's really nothing fancy, just an 8 foot sheet of melamine with brackets and some legs we picked up at the ReStore for $5 each. Which is great, because frugal is my middle name! The computer/"office" takes up the right side of the desk, and my scrap space lives on the left.
To the very left is my paper stash, which is in a hanging file folder organizer by manufacturer. That used to be on the desk, but it took up too much space and I didn't like how I had to stand up every time I wanted to dig through my stash. So now, it sits on an old crate that used to be in our living room, so it's the perfect height for me to go through while sitting. Inside the crate I have my albums, as well as a box I use to mist in. My plan is put casters on it, so I can wheel it out when scrapping, but I haven't gotten around to that just yet.
On top of my desk lives all my embellishments, pens, twine and journaling cards. On the very top shelf are my alphas, punches, ribbon and buttons. I also bought a cheap lamp from Ikea, which is great because I often scrap at night and need the extra light.
My favourite part of the room is the new dresser we bought off kijiji a few months back. I bought it to house my sewing machine and typewriter. My original plan was to paint it white, replace the knobs and take out the top drawers and put a sheet of wood down to turn it into a shelf where I could put locker baskets. However, when I first looked at it in person, I realized that it's in much better shape than the picture showed, and it was walnut. I felt bad wanting to paint over that. So I thought maybe I could stain it darker. But when I asked for dh's help he said that he would have to strip the entire thing if we wanted to do anything - stain or paint. And that it would take a really long time. And then he'd have to buy some special primer, and yadda yadda yadda. Have I mentioned that dh works in a spray shop on the side? Yeah. And then I did some measuring and I realized that the locker baskets I've been coveting for months are 1" too tall. So, back to square one. Which for now, means do nothing.

So there's my scrap space. It's not even close to where I want it....I have plans to put an empty frame above the dresser with wire, so I can hang layouts and photos. And I have plans to do something like this in the corner right above the dresser too. Plus I'm still on the lookout for better (and cuter!) storage options for the stuff on top of my desk. But for now, it's functional and is better than scrapping on the kitchen table! :)

1 comment:

jen k said...

that is a sweet Kijiji find..
your room is awesomely functional!!