Wednesday, April 14, 2010

marcy's space

a little bit has changed from the last time I shared my space (i thought i'd be out of this room by now... and in the loft... but, nope. still here). the floorplan has stayed the same, but some cabinets and general organization has changed. and because i was getting ready anticipating my new space... this room has spilled a little into what it will be used for next... an office/den. right now it serves dual purposes. it's a scrapbook room transitioning into an office.

anyway.

welcome to my space.

the most awkward space in the house (now that we got rid on the bermuda triangle upstairs) is the bump out. the mister hates it when i call it that. but what else do you call it? it's the jutting-out-ledge-type-thing-to-make-room-for-the-stairs-thing. anyway. i have big plans for it when this room is solely an office. but for now it's just wasted space. you definately can't reach that far back into the corner. so for now my cardstock, ledger paper, christmas papers and page protectors live here.

the closet has changed slightly from the last post. it now houses only office-related things. no scrapbooking supplies in there.



it's super hard for me to keep my work area clean. ideally i like to have only my tool caddy and a bowl of brads on there. but i also have two little containers that hold various odds and ends... hair bands and bobby pins, broken earrings i'm supposed to fix, etc.






i love this counter. it's old. i love working on a glass top (i use my slice right on there!) but it's super awkward! you really can't get anything from the top shelf in it because it's set so far back. i keep my current projects and items i don't need to get at often on there.

the bottom shelf now holds my patterned paper. i'm using my paper rack at the shoppe now. i found that i was flipping through my paper scraps (filed in a basket) more than flipping through the paper on the rack. inspired by karen russell's studio (i can't find the link to it right now though) i put my patterned paper in hanging files. the plan is, in the new space, to have pull out wooden drawers on casters under my work table so i can just pull out a drawer and rifle through paper. right now they're in the counter sideways and that drives me nuts. but oh well.

another thing i changed is that my patterned paper scraps, although still separate from full sheets, are now organized with those full sheets. so, october afternoon scraps, october afternoon full sheets, crate scraps, crate full sheets, and so on. the plan was that i could find a particular scrap easier this way... but i'm not sure. maybe the change just hasn't sunk in yet.





i still have my newest embellishments in a wire basket on the side of my counter. i liked that so much that i have a file for my new paper too. not that that stops me from hoarding though. ;)



this is the view from the closet/office. my space is right off the living room (which i love). the upper shelf holds loose embellishments (most of them in the doodlebug containers. on top of the lower shelf is my alphabets (excluding ki, making memories, american crafts and doodlebug) and a basket of stamps. also inspired by karen, i put the pages from my stamp binder in this basket. i found i just wouldn't flip through a binder. the rest of the shelf holds other stamping things (i'm sooo not a stamper!), those other alphabets, a basket of flowers, a basket of vintage paper items and other stuff.



we removed the drawers from this dresser forever ago and now use them (on casters) for under the bed storage. replaced with baskets it's the perfect place to store supplies for my other craft ventures. one basket holds label stickers. another holds book binding supplies. another ephemera. another card-making supplies. another metal tins. and so on.

my trimmer and typewriter have dibs on the top.



next to the dresser is a wooden tool cabinet. of course i painted it white. right now the top part is in storage. my little sewing station. the small drawers hold various sewing items. the largers ones hold etsy stuff and most of my punches.



so, here's where we are so far.





this other wall is probably the most different. i really needed most of the shelves of the expedit for my albums, so i needed to come up with something else for the majority of my supplies. this shelf used to be at the shoppe. i brought it home. painted it white (gasp!) and put my locker baskets in it. larger companies like making memories have a basket all to themselves. others share. i wanted to hang a grid of photos above the shelf, but i'm sure once i do that i'll change something else, so i'm just leaving it for now.







and that's it. my space.

i really would like to spend more time in it. i really would like to spread out a bit more. i really would like to get it moved into the grainery loft... but we're just not that far yet. i really would like to make this room an office/den.

but for now. it works.

(sorry for the watermarks... it was just far too many photos to change). ;)

1 comment:

Leigh Penner said...

Great tour, Marcy! I'm always in awe of your scrap space!