Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The List

There are often times when I want to scrap but don’t have anything in particular to scrap. Since it’s just dh and I, we don’t have kids to take pictures of. This usually also means a lack of events to take pictures of, or remember to bring your camera to. Or, there are times when I have pictures that don’t relate to anything in particular. I still want to scrap them, but without an event, it’s sometimes hard to figure out what I would scrap about.

Enter The List. (sounds very mafia, no?)


I started making my list awhile back, at least in my head. There were always things/moments/quirks/thoughts I wanted to capture that didn’t necessarily belong to a specific event or couldn't be captured on camera. Whenever it would happen, I would file it away in my head, hoping to remember it as needed. Well, I have the memory of....well let’s just say I’m the girl that frequently forgets where she parked her car at the mall. Or frequently forgets what she was looking for when she walked into the kitchen. You get the point. So anyway, I started writing these things down in a notebook. Up until recently, it was always a one-way street. I’d get a flash of brilliance, write it down and then never look at it again.

Until now.

You see, I haven’t taken many pictures this year. 151, to be exact. Most of which were taken when my camera was hijacked at family events by my little cousins. So needless to say, about 80% of those aren’t exactly stellar. A lack of pictures makes it very hard to scrap. Very. Hard. So I started digging through old pictures and realized that I could combine my favourite ‘old’ pictures with ‘new’ subject ideas. Voila! Instant layout!

You may be asking what things are on my list. Well, I’ve kind of broken them up into sections. There’s a list about me, about dh, about us, our cats (yeah, that’s what happens when you don’t have kids) and then a miscellaneous list. I write things like traits about myself or dh that are either frustrating/funny/quirky, our nicknames, dreams that dh and I have, the fact that I’m so short, and just random thoughts in general. In fact, a lot of the layouts I've done recently came from The List.



I know this may not be a new concept to many of you out there, but hopefully it’s helped some of you find ideas for ‘old’ pictures. Or even new pictures, if you’re a much more responsible photographer than I am!

2 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Great idea, Flo!
I've tried off and on to compile a list like this but it hasn't worked out well. I'm thinking I need a notebook or somewhere to put the ideas.
Love those layouts, by the way!

Julia said...

we need to be able to average out our heights! I'm 5'11" and a half but I don't round up cos six feet sounds just so darn tall. It's hard to find clothes that fit!