Friday, February 19, 2010

Stitching, part one

It's no surprise that I am a huge fan of stitching on my layouts. I have been doing it for years and add it to probably 95% of my layouts.

And although this technique for me is tried and true, it's sometimes fun to break out of the ordinary and try something new. So for my post this week and next week, I thought I'd share some examples of what I've been trying with my sewing maching lately.

Up first is this layout that I created, using Got Sketch? 98:



Often, I like to add some zigzag stitches to join strips of pp together, like it did here:



But I was inspired by these cute SU! felt flowers to add some stitching to the punched scallope circles. Some swirls (for this one, I basically put my layout under the needle and spun the paper as I pressed on the pedal)....


Some intersecting straight lines...


Some double circles....



And some zigzags in a different size from the border....


Some tips:

1.play with the length and width settings on your machine-- it's fun to see the different effects you can get.

2. Don't expect it to look perfect. Figure out how to make it work for you. An example, for the green circle at the bottom, my double circles intersected and I didn't really like the effect of that. I could have started over, but instead, it just helped me to know exactly where to place the chipbard shape with the title on it-- over top of my mistake!

3. Different colours of thread can also lend different feels and looks to your page.

No comments: